Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tibi Tibi

My sister and I had made some form of a jargon ( originally from ciarina, popularized and deconstucted by me and my sister ) which was, "Tibi-Tibi". Tibi Tibi is a term used when one says a statement that is not pure in its intent but has hidden meaning for personal agenda or personal gain.

Example, " well he told me I looked pretty in my dress ( told in a nonchalant, matter-of-fact way )"...( real message would be: He really likes me, not that pretty woman over there. ) Tibi Tibi!!!

Another one, a status on facebook: " Saul converted to Paul after...( hidden motive: to convince a love interest ( who is also a very active facebook user ) named , "Paul" that he can "change" his ways ) ... Tibi Tibi!!!

Anyway, I realize that a Filipino term to contrast tibi-tibi would be, "Magpakatotoo ka, sister ! " ( popularized by Sprite commercial )

A lot of people utilize words that others still need to unlock. We all love mystery, don't we?


The danger of this is if we decode messages wrongly. Like we simply assume. That would be hard. How many times have I assumed that a man likes me then later to realize he already has a girlfriend or a crush on someone else...?hhhmm...

***

unconsciously, we tell people of "praise report" or our "God-given revelation", thinking it would be something that would "glorify God"...but the truth is, we are in the state of "tibi-tibi". This is actually so people would think of us as someone "spiritual"...and then " spiritual pride " takes in...it was actually to "glorify ourselves"

it's only the people who have the spirit of discernment that know when tibi-tibi occurs and when the real, sincere worship and praise happens...

***

I personally don't know the reason why we have chosen such an ugly term as "tibi-tibi". it sounds corny and all. but, we just sometimes don't have a Filipino term to actually fit this kind of definition of a situation. or is there? and a lot of people do this "tibi-tibi" thing. It totally is pathetic.

***

If we could only have a heart like a child,
pure
without malice
without hidden agenda

...there would be truth everywhere...
...there would be peace as we trust.







( As I was writing this blog here at SM...a child came to me closely, without a hint of shame, looked on me and what I had been doing...then asked, "Asa diay ka puyo, te? ( Where do you live? )...then that led more of her telling me how far her mother was...that her mother only took her brother...and...her eyes told me how her heart broke...her silence screamed like her heart of gold was about to crack...and then she told me her dad was imprisoned...It was so simple. No tibi tibi. No wonder why I adore kids. They have this simplicity and eyes that speak like what they feel, they express through them ). Rosalyn and me, above )

1 comment:

  1. I think that you are attractive and charming.This is not Tibi Tibi.

    ReplyDelete