Saturday, January 30, 2010

Offense Is The Best Defense

I have retired from being a so-called preacher of The Word who argues with people in a debate. Approximately two to four years ago, I left that boring and tiring profession. Not for a reason that I would not win in a debate. As a matter of fact, with my wet appetite for biblical knowledge and receiving satisfaction from my filling in with the knowledge of it, and also my love for historical knowledge, I was more likely to win the debate against any issue regarding Christ.

However, I retreated and conceded to the fact that words were not sufficient a tool for people to be convinced that ONE God whose name was the Truth existed. Every person has their own God and their own truth. Most of the time, that perception is unshakeable.

***

When I was in high school, I started to LOVE tremendously heavy, metallic rock music. Like from those bands who wore masks, and the like, and whose songs had the lyrics ( and only lyrics), “ F*ck you...” repeated many times in one song...I remember I could not get off the loud bangs and horrific vocal from my head. When I’d go to my class, the songs kept playing in my freakin’ head. Music was actually like a euphoric tool for me to ease some pain away...

I had my high school in Iloilo, so my addiction for rock music was not so much a pain. I had friends in a band who loved playing rock music and loved it. And, I felt like I was normal when I was there.

Time came when I went back to Cebu where my folks were. In my room, I would play the music, jumping up so high, or on a weird occasion, crying, sobbing...As if the loud beat of the music was my friend trying to console me.

My family didn’t like it. I thought they were just overreacting. A lot of time, they would give a comment of disdain, but one comment really flared me up like I was a rocket ready for takeoff.

“ Are you having drugs? “, asked seriously by my mom. I was, “whooaah”. Just because I liked that music did not mean I was harming myself. I did not reply of course to show my disgust with that kind of questioning.

I thought it was just the music. My mistake. I would then hear myself cursing and screaming. I would like, “ F*ck, Sh*T! “. My look even changed---I had been looking angry all the time. Damn, music probably influenced me in an unconscious manner.

Anyway, I was already a “Christian” at that time. A baby Christian. I just wanted some form of bang bang bang. So, I shifted to a bit friendlier banging music from Christian bands, like P.O.D. ( Payable on Death ). At that time, I only knew very few Christian rock bands. So, I kept listening to POD and had in my head their song like a broken CD ..” now that I know You, I could never turn my back away...Now that I see You, I believe You no matter what they say...IIIIII feel so alive........I can’t deny You”....






***

Jesus said, “ I am THE TRUTH”. People may have their own truth of a form of spirituality, but spirituality’s depth is only seen by how a person lives; how he relates to himself, to others, and to his circumstances. Spirituality is seen by a person’s fruits, not just by the way he professes himself to be.
Christianity, as Jesus established it to be, is NOT a religion, but a lifestyle.

Probably, I don’t need to explain myself and prove to others that what I believe is the right one because I am secure of what I believe in. I claim now that I have no answers to every question. All I know is that when Christ became my Saviour, I have been living in joy, peace, love, hope, and freedom.



***
And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.- Jesus ( John 8:32 )

No comments:

Post a Comment